Friday, November 14, 2014

Cooking the Disney Way: Lemon Grass Risotto from California Grill

During our last trip I was specifically looking for a Disney cookbook to bring home with me. They actually have a few to choose from, so I looked them over and ended up with "Cooking with Mickey and the Disney Chefs." Here is what the cover of the book looks like, in case you want to buy it.

I picked up mine in the Animal Kingdom
Lodge gift shop, but they are available 
all over Disney property.

This cookbook has recipes from Walt Disney World Resort, Disneyland Resort, and Disney Cruise Line. I love it, because if you found something you liked at a restaurant, and it's in the book, then you can make it whenever you want! Also, if you have an idea of what restaurants you want to dine in on your next vacation and that restaurant has a recipe/recipes in the book, you can sample the food before you go. That way when you get there you will have already tasted a menu item or two and know whether you want to order those items.

So far I've made the Cheddar Breakfast Potatoes from The Crystal Palace Restaurant and the Coconut Curried Chicken Stew from Boma. Unfortunately, I had not started the blog yet so I didn't take pictures of the finished products, but both recipes got rave reviews from the family.

The recipe I tried last night was the Lemon Grass Risotto from California Grill. For legal reasons, I cannot actually post the recipe for you, it being copyrighted material and all. However, I can give you reviews of the recipes and show you pictures of the finished products. At least with a review and some pictures, you will have some added information if you are looking to buy a Disney cookbook.

Now, for the review. My husband picked out this recipe, because we had already decided on fish for dinner and he thought the risotto would compliment the fish. I have never made risotto before, so I was a little nervous about how it would come out. I will say, you definitely have to keep an eye on it while it is cooking and it involves a lot of stirring, so that it does not burn. Also, there is some chopping involved with this recipe, so make sure you have everything chopped up before you start cooking. It is much easier if it is all chopped ahead of time and things are less likely to burn.

How did it come out? It tasted delicious! I am so pleased with how it came out. My husband loved it and, here's the kicker, my kids loved it too! My (extremely) picky 3 year old ate a good amount of it and my 1 year old had a bunch too. That is what told me this is a good recipe. If it can get my 3 year old to eat (and enjoy) something other than pizza, chicken nuggets, etc. I am all for it! I will definitely be making this again. Plus, I know we are going to make reservations at California Grill for the next trip, so I am excited to try the Lemon Grass Risotto as prepared by the chefs!

View from above.

There was a nice lemony flavor that complimented 
the risotto. It was really good!

This is a good way to sample some of the restaurant food from Disney World, Disneyland, or Disney Cruise Line before you take a trip to any of the Disney locations. They even have a recipe or two from Victoria and Albert's!

If you are looking for a fun cookbook or you have a favorite food from a Disney restaurant check out this cookbook. The reason I bought this book is because it has a recipe for Tonga Toast from Kona Cafe and this was one of my favorite dishes from our trip. I still have to make the Tonga Toast, but when I do I will let you know how it comes out. For now, high marks all around for the Lemon Grass Risotto from California Grill in the "Cooking with Mickey and the Disney Chefs" cookbook!

Thanks for reading!

Liz ⁰O⁰
mainstreetwishes.com






No comments:

Post a Comment