Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Happy Birthday Mickey!! You Look Fabulous for 86!!

Today is Mickey Mouse's 86th birthday. He has come a long way since his beginnings as Steamboat Willie. People still love that mouse! We will spend thousands of dollars to visit Disney World and see this special mouse.





It is amazing to go into any Disney Store or any store on Disney property and see how much Mickey merchandise there is. Mickey is a serious money maker! Between the toys, video games, movies, home decor, he has made Disney millions. The Mickey icon is probably one of the most well-known icons around. You see the shape of a mouse head and you automatically think "Mickey!" Who knew people could be so in love with a rodent! I know we had a lot of Mickey stuff growing up and it has, of course, grown the more obsessed with Disney I have become.

 
He's on a cookbook.

He's on mugs.

He's a muffin pan
(Or Rice Krispies Treats in this case)

 
He's a remote control car.

I have my Mickey tea kettle that I love. It is understated, but when you look closely at the design you can see there are hidden Mickey's on it. Another kettle that the Disney Store sells has the reds and yellows in the design and people love that one too. I love having Mickey in my house.

My Mickey Mouse tea kettle.

The other style available.
(Image from disneystore.com)

Some Mickey things I have inherited are a couple of old school Mickey Mouse magnets and a Mickey sugar and creamer set. The Mickey magnets were my aunt's who passed away in 2001. She collected magnets when she traveled (she traveled a lot) and I was given her magnet collection. Looking through it I found these two fun Mickey magnets. She loved Disney and I think that might be how my obsession started :-) The sugar and creamer set I inherited from my grandmother. I had actually given the set to her as a gift after my 2007 trip and after she passed away in 2009 my mother said I should have it. Now whenever I have tea and use the set, I think of her and smile.

The old school Mickey magnets I inherited. 

My grandmother's sugar and creamer set.

I also have an old version of Disney Trivial Pursuit cards. The questions just go through the 80's, so it is definitely old school. There are a lot of fun questions in there and I think I'm going to try to break out the Trivial Pursuit board to play this version soon!

My old school Disney Trivial Pursuit
with Mickey on the cover.

Then of course there are all of the Mickey ears. I like to try to get a new set of ears every time we go to the parks. There are so many to choose from and so many fun designs, so it's hard to pick only one! Plus, you have your choice of a hat or headbands. My kids each have their own pair of ears, but I think my daughter is finally out growing the ones we bought her when she was 6 months old. I'm sad that she's growing so fast, but happy she'll get to pick out her own ears next time! It's like a right of passage to pick out your own pair of Mickey ears :-)

My son's first pair of ears.

My daughter's first pair of ears.

My ear headbands.

My son's first birthday hat

I used to work at The Disney Store (back when Disney didn't actually own the stores) and we were each given a Mickey ears pin. I don't do the pin trading thing right now, but I love my Mickey ears pin. It's sparkly, fun, and very Disney! 

My first Disney pin!

I could go on and on about all the fun Mickey things there are to buy. Your choices are endless and I love that! There is no doubt that my Disney collection will continue to grow with Mickey items and other Disney character items, as well. It's so much fun!

Feel free to share pictures of your Mickey themed items in the comments or in the Main Street Wishes Facebook group. We are a fun group of people over there ;-)

Happy Birthday Mickey! You are still the Big Cheese after all of these years!

Thanks for reading!

Liz ⁰O⁰
mainstreetwishes.com





No comments:

Post a Comment