Thursday, November 13, 2014

Souvenirs That Won't Break the Bank

I know when people hear the word souvenir preceded with the word Disney dollar signs usually start to appear in their head, but not all Disney souvenirs have to be expensive. Of course, it also depends on how many souvenirs you end up buying, but individual souvenirs don't have to be that expensive. So, here is a list of some of the less expensive mementos you can bring home from your trip.

5. Pressed Pennies

Not long ago I wrote a post about all the pressed penny machines that Disney has on property, but it definitely fits in this post, as well. At 51 cents this is pretty much the cheapest souvenir you can get (unless you count the free pens, pads, and bath products you can take from you room). There are hundreds of these machines to choose from all over Disney property and each one has three or four different images to choose from. We loved the pressed penny machines and my daughter loved picking out the image and helping to turn the crank. It's fun, cheap, and kids love these things! Check out the post for more info.

Chip 'n' Dale Pressed Penny
(From the Land pavilion)

4. Pens

These are relatively cheap souvenirs too. Depending on the style and detail of the pens they shouldn't cost more than $5 or $6. On our last trip my daughter really wanted an Ariel pen. The one she ended up with had more detail than some other ones and the cap is actually the bottom of Ariel's fin. So, it did cost a little more than some other pens, but only a $1 or so. It's really cute and she loves to use it! Years ago, way before my daughter was born and before I got married, I went to Disney with a friend and bought a pen as a souvenir on that trip. It just so happens to be an Ariel pen too. Like mother like daughter! Only, the one I picked has feathers on it, because one cannot have enough feathery and sparkly items ;-)

If you are staying on Disney property your hotel room should have pens, so you can always take one of those as a souvenir too. I would say it's free, but you paid a decent amount of money to stay on Disney property, so it's not really "free", but it feels like it's free and that works for me!

Mother/Daughter Ariel Pens

"Free" Hotel Pen 

3. Mugs

If mugs are your souvenir of choice then Disney has you covered. It's hard to go into a Disney store on property and not see a selection of mugs. I love getting new Disney mugs! The designs are always fun and a lot of them have the year on them, so you can have a timeline in your kitchen of your Disney travels. 

This is a fun mug I got during my 2008 trip.

They have different sizes and shapes. They have mugs shaped like characters and mugs that are understated, for those that don't like the in-your-face Disney styles. Sometimes there are little details on the inside of the mug. My Tinker Bell mug has a cute design on the inside and it's fun to see that as I'm drinking my tea, it makes me smile. 

Tinker Bell design.

I love the added detail inside the mug.

If you have enough Disney mugs, you can switch it up every time you use a mug. One of my Disney mugs is my designated hot chocolate mug and then I alternate with the other ones depending on what my mood is that day. The mugs usually don't run that much, it depends on the style and size, but I would say probably $10-$15 is the norm. It brings a little magic to your morning cup of coffee or tea and that is a good start to the day in my book!

My hot chocolate mug.


2. Plush and Other Small Toys
This category can be for both children and adults. There are plenty of toys and plush dolls and animals that adults love too! It is Disney after all, where you feel like a kid again! Most stores will have a decent selection of toys and plush that are not too expensive. Again, it depends on what you go for. If you want a huge plush or a toy that has a lot of electronics or parts, then the price might not be so inexpensive. I'm telling you though, there are a ton of reasonably priced toys and plush available all over Disney property. 

I have bought plush on past trips and now have passed those on to my daughter and son. The collection just continues to grow! On the last trip we bought an Ariel pillow (which my daughter loves!), a flying Buzz Lightyear, a Mickey safari remote control car, as well as some other plush. All of those items fell in the $10-$20 category. That's really not bad, considering there is a remote control car in the mix. Our trip was in January 2014 and everyone is still having so much fun with the toys and the plush that we bought on that trip! 

My daughter loves her princess plush dolls!

Some of these are my old plush 
and some are new ones for the kids. 
I love how the collection grows!

The Mickey car and Buzz Lightyear we got on the
last trip. They are so much fun to play with!

A video of Buzz flying.

My daughter's Ariel pillow.

Here is the other side of the pillow. I love how
the signature is the same on the pillow as it is
when the character signs autographs. Details!

1. Headgear 

In my mind, this is the best Disney souvenir, because it is most associated with Disney souvenirs. Plus they are so much fun to wear! I say "headgear", because I am not just talking about Mickey ears. There are so many different options that are offered now!

On the last trip I bought a pretty fancy looking headband and, yes, it has feathers and it's sparkly. On another trip I bought a safari type hat (I cannot currently find this hat, which is why there is no picture of it), my husband has an Indiana Jones hat he bought on our 2011 trip, there is a Tinker Bell baseball cap from my 2007 trip, and each of the kids have their own set of Mickey ears.

The ears, hats, and headbands are all over Disney property. It is really hard to get too far anywhere in Disney without running into a store or cart that has headgear for sale and the number of styles that are available is amazing. Seriously, it is crazy how many styles there are to choose from. That can make it a little hard to pick just one, but it is so much fun too look at all the styles and designs!

My fancy headband from the last trip. 
Notice it is feathery, sparkly, and purple. 
It's my perfect headgear!

This is my daughter's first pair of ears 
from our 2011 trip.

My son's first pair of ears from our 2014 trip.

My husband's Indiana Jones hat and 
my Tinker Bell hat. 

That purple, sparkly, springy headband is
from my 2007 trip. 

So, there you have it. My list of inexpensive souvenirs that can be found at Disney World. Everyone's list will be a little different, but I hope this helps if you are looking for ideas. It is nice to know that there are inexpensive options for good, fun souvenirs that won't break or lose the interest of the kids the second you get home. Plus, it's just fun to go in all the stores on Disney property to see all the fun souvenirs available!
Thanks for reading!

Liz ⁰O⁰



No comments:

Post a Comment